Thursday, July 23, 2015

Does Meditation Increase Flexibility?

Original Painting by JAM
While meditating the other day, thoughts of a dear friend came to me as well as an imagine. I painted the image and knew I had to give it to my friend. 

Listening to my gut over the years has proven fruitful. Answers to questions, new creative ideas and unexpected surprises as well as emotions, body sensations and things I need to do come to me while I sit.

When I first started meditating, it took all of my effort to stay seated without fidgeting. Eventually I felt comfortable and could focus for short periods. I would ask questions yet I couldn't sit long enough to receive an answer. I would receive answers in my sleep, yet not in my meditation.

Eventually I began receive answers or possible solutions to problems while sitting. I meditate with a notebook close by so that I can jot things down before I forget.

So does meditation make your mind more flexible? Yes. Those of us who have been stuck in our thinking find we can see other's points of view and different ways to do things over time.
Does meditation have a multitude of benefits? Yes. So many they have their own post.
Has it been show to change the brain and ward off aging? Yes. There are also many studies that show how the brain changes in long-time meditators.

Often I am asked about how to meditate regularly. As with any habit, it is a practice. There is no perfect way to meditate. You need to find what works for you and do it. There are many resources available on the internet. How do you know if they're good? Well, try out some of the free ones. I have found working with a teacher to be the most effective way for me to develop a regular practice. 

There are a lot of things that meditation is NOT--watching TV, listening to music, etc. The idea is to have a single focus and to eventually become one with what we are focusing on.

Salt Lake City folks, I offer meditation the first Wednesday of each month at MyBusinessBar, 4535 S 2300 E. Register.

If you'd like to hear about what's up with me, sign up here. I offer local meditation classes and will be offering an online meditation course in November of this year.

If you're interested in working with me further, grab a complimentary call.
Let me know how it's working for you.
#meditationworks

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Great painting. What time is your Wednesday meditation class?

    Rolf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's at 6 pm at MyBusinessBar, 4535 S 2300 E, SLC. Hope to see you.

    ReplyDelete