Thursday, July 30, 2015

Can Yoga and Meditation Help Pain?


As I have discussed in previous posts, meditation has many positive effects and no negative side effects. It's amazing that most of us aren't taught from an early how to meditate or at least to be mindful. Of course, I look at my own children and know meditation can be forced upon anyone. We can model and guide people we connect with to be aware of their breath, their behaviors and what's happening in the world.

A number of clients are challenged by chronic pain. It's probably the most common complaint I hear about in my yoga therapy practice. 


Until this last year when I had a skiing accident, I didn't know what it was like to live with a constant pain--pain that keeps you awake at night; pain that discolors your day; pain that is always on the edge of your mind.

Through a variety of modalities, I have been able to alleviate the pain. I opted out of pain meds, yet I can see how someone who has chronic pains for years would be enticed by the possibility of any type of relief. 

Function has returned to most of my body and ever so slowly my brain is healing. Most influential in my healing has been my very gentle yoga practice performed 3 times a day and which includes meditation.

According to Dr. Jeremy Dean in his post called, Ancient Practice Can Heal Brains Damaged By Chronic Pain, Yoga can be an effective way to reduce the effects of chronic pain on the brain. So said Dr M. Catherine Bushnell, an expert on reducing pain without the use of drugs, at the American Pain Society’s recent annual meeting. Read more.

I am grateful to have yoga and meditation in my life to heal physical, mental, emotional and spiritual challenges. One thing for sure is that they are not quick fixes. Time, consistent practice as well as guidance from a trained professional are all necessary to get results.

I would love to hear about your experiences. To see if the work I do is right for you, schedule a wellness chat.  #meditationworks

No comments:

Post a Comment