Wednesday, April 8, 2015

When You Shine, I Shine!

Photo by: Ethan Eng-Tow
Spring is here. The sun is shining, and the flowers have blossomed. I sent my son out to take some pictures and you can see some of the results. Pretty amazing! 

I love watching my kids, my students and people in my life shine. How can we shine AND celebrate those shining around us?

Photo by: Ethan Eng-Tow
I ask this question because I have heard and seen people tear down successful people-no matter how small the success. My friend, Marty L., called this "Kill the King." I didn't understand the implications or seriousness at the time. I sure do now.

  • When people in our lives do something great, acknowledge them privately and publicly. I know you're thinking, "enough of posting pics of our kids wins on FB." Yes, some of us over do it, yet it's still important.
  • Know that when someone else is successful, it means that YOU can be successful as well. There is room in the world for all of us to SHINE.
    For more 
  • Share your own accomplishments. Many of us have been taught that we need to be modest. And, yes some of us go to the other side of the pendulum when we first start, yet we need to show others what is possible in our world. Be an inspiration to others!
  • My success is your success and vice versa. Don't worry about people copying you. Most of us are ethical and follow guidelines for sharing information. Of course, this is a whole other post. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Charles Caleb Colton
  • Many times when we are successful, we have had a mentor, friend, colleague, who has supported us. It's crucial to let them know they have helped us and the fruits of their help. It's a way of paying it forward. My cousin, Sandra C. explained to me the hitchhiker theory when I was a teen. She helped me with my education and told me some day, I would help someone else and I have.
So, don't be afraid to Shine. Shine is my Word of the Year. A habit I learned from my mentor, Christine Kane. I will do my best not to Shine all over you ;-)
I would love to hear your Shining stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment