Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Saucha: Yogic Purification

pascimottanasana
The 2nd Limb of yoga, the niyamas are personal practices or behaviors, saucha (purification or cleanliness) is the first.

In previous posts, I focused on the 1st limb of ashatanga yoga, the 5 yamas are ethical practices or behaviors, ahimsa, satya, asteya, brahmacharya, and aparigraha

So what was Patanjali (sage who wrote down the Yoga Sutras) referring to regarding being pure? Well, we can initially look at our bodies and our minds. I have written and talked a lot about eating clean and meditation. 


Asana (yoga postures) and Pranayama (breathing practices) are yogas main ways to purify the body and to begin to cleanse the mind so we are then able to do some of the deeper subtler practices that require concentration.

What are some other things we can look at for purification?
Fresh dandelion greens


  • what we eat
  • the air we breathe
  • the music, movies and books we consume
  • the people we engage with
  • the space we work, live and drive around in
  • the clothing we put on our body
  • the work/service we do in the world
I used to think that it didn't matter which movies I watched, but now after years of viewing a variety of genres and observing how I feel--as well as watching my teenagers, I know, garbage in = garbage feelings. It is the same, when I eat poorly, I feel poorly. When I have piles setting about my home, I can't work as effectively as when my space is tidy. When I am around energy-draining or angry people, I feel horrible.

What are your experiences? What are you will to change in order to feel better and truly have what you want in your life? I'd love to hear.




No comments:

Post a Comment