Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Yumminess: favorite winter recipes from Yogic Renewal Workshop


During this holiday season, I held a Yogic Renewal Workshop and promised my students that I would post my recipes. So all the recipes from the workshops are here. Enjoy! Feel free to share your favorite recipes as well because I am always looking for new cooking ideas. Thank you to all the chefs whose recipes I've shared.


Veggie Entrees

Tridoshic Dal
1 c split mung dal
8 c water
2 c summer squash (yellow crook and zucchini) cut into large cubes
1 c carrots chopped
1 c onion chopped
1 c celery chopped
1/8 t hing
2 T ghee (can be replaced w safflower or olive oil)
1 1/2 t tumeric
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 t salt
1/2 T fresh minced ginger
1 1/4 t cumin seeds
1 t black mustard seeds
1 t fennel seeds
1 t fenugreek
2-3 hand fulls of spinach

1. Rinse dal. Wash and chop all veggies.
2. Heat ghee in large pot. Cook hing, tumeric and lemon juice for 30 seconds.  Add mung dal and saute for 1-2 minutes.  Add all veggies (except spinach) and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring.  Add water, ginger and rest of spices; bring to a boil.  Lower heat, cover and simmer for 60 minutes.  Add kale at end.
Serve with rice or quinoa.  Garnish with chopped cilantro and/or scallions.

Adapted from, The Ayurvedic Cookbook, by Amadea Morningstar

Pumpkin Saag
1 medium-sized cooking pumpkin
3 T olive oil
1 large onion chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 t garam masala (Eastern Indian spice)
1/4 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1/4 t cayenne
1 c water
1 inch ginger finely grated
3-4 handfuls of kale
juice of 1 lime

1. Split and seed pumpkin and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, face-down on cookie sheet, lightly coated with olive oil.  Let cool.  I cooked the day before and chilled in fridge. Peel away skin and chop into large chunks.
2. Heat large pot and oil.  Saute onions 5 minutes, add garlic for a minute.  Add pumpkin, spices and water until heated all the way through.  You may need to add more water.
3. Add lime and kale. Stir and continue heating on low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Let sit for a while before serving.
I serve with a grain-quinoa, brown or basmati rice.

Adapted from Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero

Brown Rice with Mushrooms

1 c short grain brown rice (can use various grains)
2 c water
1 T olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1 T minced ginger
1/2 c largely chopped snow peas
1 1/2 c mixed sliced mushroom caps (shiitake, baby bells, porcini, etc)
2 T mirin
1/4 c chopped scallions
1 T Bragg's
1/2 c veg stock
fresh ground pepper to taste

1. Cook rice in 2 c water. Bring to boil uncovered. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 40 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
2. Saute garlic, ginger, pea pods and mushrooms in oil 2-3 minutes.  Reduce heat, add mirin, cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Combine all ingredients in large pot.  Cook uncovered until all stock is absorbed.

Adapted from If the Buddha Came to Dinner, by Hale Sofia Schatz

Soups
Year round I love hot and yummy soups, but I especially love them when the weather turns cold. Nothing seems to warm me to my bones like soup. Some of my favorite recipes come from my very old and tattered, Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen. There are so many soups I like in that book and have made my own such as: the lentil soup, carrot soup, split pea, and the mushroom barley.  I will post soups in a separately because they deserve their own space.

Juice
I use this on days I need a boost and on days I'm giving my digestive tract a break.

1 cucumber
4-5 stalks celery
1 large handful of kale
small bunch of parsley
2 cloves garlic
1 inch slice of ginger peeled
1 apple cored
After putting through juicer, I squeeze in 1/2 lemon.
It's refreshing, boosts my energy and tastes amazingly good.
Adapted from, Green Tonic, in Super Cleanse, by Adina Niemerow

Desserts
My new quick easy and nutritious dessert comes from my friend Heidi O.
Date-nut balls
1/2 c walnuts, 1/2 c pitted dates with 1/2 t pumpkin spice combined in a food processor until still chunky.  Roll into balls and chill.

Sun Ball kind of Sweeties
1/2 c and 2 T toasted (lightly salted ok) sunflower seeds
1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut (plus some extra to roll balls in)
1/4 c ghee or sunflower butter
3 T maple syrup
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t coriander
1/2 t cardamon

Grind sunflower seeds to a coarse meal in food processor.  Mix all ingredients in bowl.  Roll into 1 inch balls.  Roll in extra coconut.  Chill.

Adapted from, The Ayurvedic Cookbookby Amadea Morningstar


No comments:

Post a Comment